Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Scenes from an Impending Marriage

On my visit to Crescent City Comics, I picked up Scenes from an Impending Marriage: A Prenuptial Memoir by Adrian Tomine. Since I was on my honeymoon and had just survived a wedding myself, I was interested to read about Mr. Tomine's experience on his way to the altar. The book is autobiographical, covering the time from when he became engaged to his fiance Sarah through their wedding day.

This book may not be for everyone - it is not your mainstream action comic book, that's for sure. But for me, someone who had just recently found myself, as Tomine puts it, "sucked into a black hole of nuptial narcissism", I found it cathartic. From the couple's battles over the guest list to Tomine's obsession about creating perfect invitations, it made me feel better to know that I'm not the only one who's a bit baffled over the things we put ourselves through in order to participate in the bizarre social ritual we call "weddings".  My thanks to the author for giving us a sweet little book that allows the soon-to-be wed to pull back and have a laugh at ourselves, while still appreciating the tender and touching moments that go along with committing to a loving partner for life.

Here are a couple of the "scenes" to give you an idea:













































From "Scenes from an Impending Marriage", written and drawn by Adrian Tomine

No comments:

Post a Comment